Wednesday, July 28, 2010

*Concept from Chapter 13*

I appreciated reading about the concept of, "Smile and the world smiles with you"- because with first hand experience, I find this concept to be very true. No matter what kind of day I've had, I always try to keep a smile on my face and smile at strangers passing by me. And because of it, people naturally gravitate to me and I have positive outcomes in life. "Studies show that smiling people are perceived by others as more positive on a variety of measures, including optimism, sincerity, intelligence and kindness." (Trenholm. P. 390) With the many challenges we all face in a day, there is no reason not to have respect for others and common curiosity. Whether it be holding the door open for someone, giving a seat to an elderly or simply smiling at someone that is frowning. Therefore I found this experimental study research to be interesting, because the researchers tested the effect smiling has on others. "By showing this nonverbal behavior of smiling, it wide-reaches the effects on helping behavior, the study gives hints on how to get people to like you and be more generous toward you; its by one way is simply to smile." (Trenholm. P. 391) =)

4 comments:

  1. Hey there. I really enjoyed reading your post this week. I totally agree that if you smile the world smiles with you. I think that a smile from a stranger can brighten anybodies day. I know it works for me. If I'm walking thorough a store or around campus and I'm having a bad day I know that getting a smile from a complete stranger always makes me feel a little bit better about myself that day. I try and smile at people whenever I can. I don't want to come off as a mean person with a sour look on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you that if you smile the world smiles with you. I too enjoy smiling; it seems to make my day brighter. I smile even when things are not going right and it just makes me feel good. There have been occasions when others have not smiled back and I thought it was supposed to be contagious!!! But I don’t let that stop me. You brought up some good points about how a smiling person is perceived to be optimistic, intelligent, kind and sincere.
    Smiling has health benefits too. It not only makes you look attractive, but younger too!!!
    It also boosts your immune system and helps to relieve blood pressure, because you are relaxed.
    So keep smiling!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post! I agree with you and the book about if you smile the world smiles with you. I enjoyed reading about this study because I to am an optimistic person who likes to greet others with a smile. While I was reading this study, and your post, it was hard for me to imagine myself in a culture where smiling at a stranger was odd. Our book has discussed how in the Japanese culture smiling at a stranger, especially a man, makes them feel uncomfortable and it means you are interested in them. I enjoy seeing people smile and smiling myself so it is hard to imagine my life without so much smiling. I feel as though smiling is contagious and it is nice to know that in my part of the world, when I smile the world smiles back with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My experiences have also taught me that people tend to gravitate to people who have positive energy. The main way to show positive energy is to smile. I enjoy being helped by the person who does it with a smile as oppose to the person who looks like they are having a bad day. Therefore, I'm sure other people feel the same. Sometimes it isn't an easy thing to do but if we treat other people the way we would like to be treated we should be all right.

    ReplyDelete