Tuesday, August 10, 2010

*One of the favorite concepts we covered*

In Chapter 6, Rigid Role Relations was introduced. "Each must decide whether he or she feels more comfortable playing a dominant part, or one-up role, or a more submissive part, or one-down role." (Trenholm. P. 148) The chapter goes on to talk about the Complementary Pattern, where one partner takes the one-up position and the other takes the one-down roll. Also the Rigid Complementarity, the submissive partner soon resents always giving in or when the dominant partner gets tired of being in charge. In Competitive Symmetry, both partners fight to be the one-up position. And the Submissive Symmetry, both as indecisive people. There was a week we briefly discussed this, though it stuck out to me and I've applied it into my life. I've began to think of the relationships I've been in and determine why they didn't work out. And also, what kind of pattern relationship I'd need to be in, for it to work and for me not to get frustrated with my partner. I'm a leader at heart, though in relationships, I don't need to always take the leader role. Also, it takes a toll on me, with limit time with school and work, to commit so much time into the relationship as a leader. Therefore, I'd be able to find more of a balance within the Competitive Symmetry role, I'd allow the other person to take charge with some planning and take less stress off me for always needing to be the leader. Overall, in my future relationships, I'll understand more of what kind of person I can be in a relationship with, and those that I'll get frustrated with.

No comments:

Post a Comment